Often, dogs' disenchantment with the car is linked to trauma or motion sickness.
Motion sickness results in vocalizations, diarrhea, gasping, nausea and vomiting.
Understanding your dog better and doing a few simple and regular exercises with him can change everything!
It's your turn !
Read also :
- Dog in a car: what the law says
- All our articles dedicated to the dog
Why doesn't a dog like the car?
The dog doesn't like the car just because he associates it with a bad memory.
- A lack of habituation on the part of the breeder.
- Visits to the veterinarian not always pleasant (bite, temperature measurement, etc.).
- The move from the breeder to your home which separated him from his mother and siblings.
- Long journeys with unfamiliar noises and unusual situations.
- An endless wait in the car that generated fear of abandonment.
4 exercises to make your dog love the car
To make your dog love the car, you have to make him understand that ultimately it is aa pleasant place.
- Open the doors and trunk of your car and let your dog visit the cabin and sniff it. With his highly developed flair, he will pick up information that will appease him (my master spends a lot of time here, etc.).
- Engine off, install it in your car and take your driver's seat. Do not react if he moans or fidgets. You would reinforce his fear.
- Repeat the previous exercise with the engine on. Little by little, you confront your dog with the real situation.
- When you feel that your dog is handling the car better, start taking short trips that will be associated with something enjoyable like his daily walk. Each time you get home, give her a treat. Your dog should be thinking, "If I'm good in the car, I'll take my owner for a walk and have a treat." "
For optimum results, work sessions should be short and regular. They will desensitize your dog from his fear in the car and strengthen your bond. And above all, relax so as not to transmit your anxiety to your dog!
Fight against motion sickness
The brain sends information to the brain about the body's position in the vestibular space of the inner ear.
- To remedy this hyper stimulation, you must adopt a calm behavior and immobilize your dog (transport cage, etc.) so that he is less tossed about.
- Do not feed your dog before you go.
- The temperature in the interior of the car must not exceed 20 ° C.
- Take breaks every two hours.
- Seek treatment from your veterinarian for motion sickness. Necklaces made from pheromones are interesting.
The ideal is to get a dog used to the car from an early age. Some passionate breederswork this habituation with puppies.
Remember to ask the question when buying a new companion and when it arrives at your home, continue this learning.
“The whole dog is in his eyes. "